Ready or not, winter has officially arrived. Are you ready for it? If you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow, you may be looking to escape for a little bit. If you live somewhere that doesn’t really have a winter, you may be looking to experience the ice and snow for yourself, and if you are in either of these camps (or you just want to get away this winter for some reason or another), you are in luck. There are plenty of absolutely gorgeous winter destinations to suit your needs, no matter what they may be. If you are still unsure about the idea of going on a winter getaway, I have just a few of the many reasons why it really is a great idea listed below. Feel free to use these in a power-point presentation to convince your significant other or spouse that you should, in fact, go on a Caribbean cruise this winter.
- Less Crowded / Touristy – Anyone who has ever been on a vacation in a popular spot knows the struggle of navigating crowds of people trying to accomplish all of the same things as you and your family at the exact same time. The best way to beat the touristy traffic is to go during the offseason, when there are significantly fewer people. Get the opportunity to experience more during your trips.
- Lower Prices – When you are traveling in the offseason, the prices for flights, hotels, and attractions are considerably lower than usual, meaning that you can experience more without breaking the bank. Save more and experience more at the same time.
- Help Ease the Symptoms of Seasonal Depression – No amount of travel is going to magically cure any kind of mental health issues, but a change of scenery can definitely ease some of the symptoms of seasonal depression. If the dark half of the year is making you feel a bit off your game, then a trip to a sun-soaked destination may be just what you need to feel a bit more like yourself. Or maybe you want to hit the slopes? There is a perfect winter destination for everyone, so why not make this year the year that you find yours?
- Easier to Get Time Off – We all know the struggles of trying to get time off in the summer for a vacation. Everyone is trying to get the same time slots, and it can be a lot of pressure. This pressure can be compounded if you work in an industry where the summer is part of the busy season. When you take your vacation in the winter, it is generally much easier (and less stressful) to get time off because fewer people are fighting over the same timeslots.
- The Overall Experience is Different – In a lot of tourist destinations, on top of being less crowded during winter months, you get an experience that is more authentic to the place that you are visiting when you choose to do so in the off months. During this time, you may think that there will be less to do in touristy areas, but there will still be plenty of local attractions, restaurants, and more to experience wherever you are going. You can weed out a lot of the tourist traps, and get a better feel for the area in its true form.
- Easier to Plan Last Minute – For the same reason that things are cheaper during the off season, there are fewer bookings for flights, hotels, and attractions. When demand goes down, there is a surplus of supply, and you can use that to your advantage. If you haven’t already booked, there is still time.
- More Unique Activities / Photo Ops – Imagine getting to take photos of the snow-frosted Grand Canyon, a cozy Maine cabin during snowfall, or even a frosty beach shot or two. Imagine a hot coffee on a cold beach day, or a Ice cold drink poolside while you know it is snowing back home. These may be clichés, but they are clichés for a reason, and that doesn’t make them any less fun to experience.
- Experience the Holiday Season in a New Place – Every place has a slightly different way of celebrating the holidays, and there is so much to learn and experience. Whether you are traveling to a different part of the country, or to a completely different one there is an incredibly rich experience waiting for you.
If you have any suggestions or ideas, feel free to leave them in the comments. And make sure that than no matter where, how, or how far you travel this winter, you are coming home to a place that truly feels like home. Fifthroom.com has just about everything you need to transform your home into a haven, inside and outside. The moral is, go on vacation this winter if you can. Your wallet, stress levels, and mental heath will thank you later.