For many travelers, fall is definitely the best time to go on vacation. The weather is great — still warm, but not so hot and muggy — and the crowds have thinned considerably. Here are a few ideas for great getaways this fall:
1. Cape May, New Jersey. Cape May is fun in the summer but even more magical in the fall partly because of the arrival of the beautiful Monarch Butterflies which head to Cape May at this time of year. Stay at one of the charming Victorian inns in town, bike ride along Beach Avenue and do some serious shopping on Washington Street.
2. Walla Walla, Washington. Walla Walla has become the hot new destination for wine connoisseurs. Not only is the area home to over 100 wineries, Walla Walla was also recently named the USA’s “Friendliest Small Town” by USA Today and Rand McNally.
3. Tybee Island, Georgia Located just 30 miles from Savannah, Tybee Island is especially fun in October when the annual Pirate Fest transforms the island into a pirate village. While you’re there, climb to the top of the Tybee Lighthouse to catch one of the island’s beautiful sunsets.
4. San Antonio, Texas. The city’s famous River Walk is especially pretty in the fall. And, tucked right below street level, you’ll find some of San Antonio’s best shops, restaurants and art galleries. If you like history, the Alamo is not far away and nature lovers will love touring the Natural Bridge Cavern.
5. Mackinac Island, Michigan. This island resort is not only a National Historic Landmark, but is also a step back in time to the Victorian era when transportation was by foot, horse or buggy. Mackinac Island is as well known for its stunning fall foliage as it is for its fudge!
Whether you prefer to travel north, south, east or west, you’ll find dozens of amazing places to visit this fall.